Sunday, August 22, 2010

Hello out there!

Hello out there!

I guess this is where I should take a little time to introduce myself. My name is Nicole. I am a stay-at-home mom. In two days, my five year old will be starting her Kindergarten and I am in need of a project. Ta-da... my project is this blog.

Lately, everywhere you turn is a new news story about the rate of obesity among American youth. There are shows about weight loss and eating healthy. There are segments on the Today show that tell you how terrible some of the meals for kids are at our favorite restaurants. I take my girls to the playground and see overweight children everywhere. When I talk to other moms, I hear them say things like "I just have a picky eater", "He/She just won't eat vegetables", and my personal favorite "he/she throws a fit if I don't order pizza (or McDonald's, or deep fat fried butter sticks)".... Well world, here I am, and I'm going to say it. YOUR THE PARENT! Tell them "No."

Ok. This isn't an angry blog. This isn't a rage against the fast food industry. This is me, blogging about my every day life. This is me, telling you (whoever you are) how I am educating my little girls about how to eat and what to eat. I will post the recipes, the tips, and tricks about how I get more fruits and vegis into their diets. I am not sitting here on my high horse telling anyone that my daughter doesn't eat mac 'n' cheese, because she does. I am not under the assumption that everyone has 2 hours every night to cook a gourmet meal or the budget to put the best food in front of their family every day. I work within a budget and I try to have dinner come together quickly, doing the prep work I can ahead of time.

I just can't sit around muttering my disgust under my breath anymore when I hear people talk about how they just can't feed their kids healthy food. So... here it is. My blog. :)

No comments: