Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Tip #2

Well, today was the day. Kiddo started Kindergarten. I kept it together, I didn't cry... in front of her. Actually, I got a little misty on the way to the car, but I hugged the baby tight and told her that she doesn't get to grow up. Just because all the other kids seem to be doing it these days doesn't mean she needs to. She gave me a little smile. I'm pretty sure we have a deal. :)

Well, I decided to give another tip today.

Skinny kids fat world tip #2 is:

Serve the appetizer!

Ok. I know that seems very counterproductive to eating healthy. However, this is what I have started doing in my house and it works great. Every night when I start getting dinner ready, the first thing I do is get out a plate and put vegis or fruit on it. This can really be as simple as a bowl of pre-washed baby carrots that you dump out of the bag. Some nights I put out broccoli and carrots, other nights are celery. I occasionally slice up a plum or two instead of vegis. I think tonight will be apples.

It doesn't really matter what you put out, just make it healthy and simple. if I put out vegis, I put out dip or salad dressing with it. For my kiddo, I put a spoonful of dip on a salad plate. She knows this is the amount of dip she can have before dinner. I just leave the fruit or vegis on the table and go back to making dinner. I never have to hear "Mom, I'm hungry... whens dinner!?!?" There is something to snack on right there on the table. When my husband comes home "starving" according to him, he can sit down and have apple slices until dinner is ready. If there are any vegis left when I serve dinner, I leave them on the table. I serve smaller portions of the main coarse and I find that if people want seconds, they will tend to eat whats in front of them before getting up and walking into the kitchen for more spaghetti (or whatever we are having).

Some nights the whole plate of vegis is gone before we sit down and other nights maybe half will get eaten. It's just a simple way to get more vegis and fruits into our diets without really much effort on my part. It also buys me some time when I'm making dinner so that everyone isn't standing around hungry watching me, making me feel like I need to hurry up and get it on the table right away.

So... tonight when you are trying to decide what to serve for dinner, buy yourself some time and serve the appetizer!

No comments: