Sunday, September 26, 2010

Not a tip, not a recipe

I really need to commit to getting on here more often. I'm going to allow myself to deviate from the theme of "healthy eating with the kids" occasionally. I think that will help give me an incentive. However, I think it will probably still be about food most of the time. I mean, lets face it. My life seems to be mostly about food sometimes anyways.

I would like to take this time to publicly thank Ms. Alana, the most fabulous sister-in-law ever. Last week, she sent me the most wonderful assortment of Indian spices. I made "Bombay Sloppy Joes" and "Basmati Rice with Apricots." Both of these recipes are on foodnetwork.com. The food was wonderful and the fragrance of cinnamon and cloves filled my home. It was delicious.

I think there might actually be a little tip in here somewhere. I think it's important to introduce your kids (and yourself) to different kinds of foods. I truly believe that if you want to know about a culture, then a good place to start is to learn about their foods. I also think that if you occasionally allow yourself to get outside of your comfort zone, you will find things that you didn't even know you would like. It can influence your cooking in so many ways.

In America, cinnamon and cloves are a staple in pumpkin pie and many sweet dishes. In Indian cooking however, cinnamon and cloves are present in savory dishes. It adds such a depth to the flavor of the dishes. It really wakes up your taste buds.

I think if I could offer a bit of advice about kids and eating, it would be not to tell them they won't like something. If your eating sushi and they ask what it tastes like, give them a piece. Don't tell them that it's not something that they would like. When you do this, they start closing their mouths (and minds) to foods simply because of what they look like or sound like. Nothing is damaged by allowing them to taste spicy food. Don't say things like "my kids don't like vegetables." Your writing off the vegis before you even try them.

I can't wait to cook some more Indian food, and tomorrow, I am planning on using the Bombay sloppy joe sauce with shredded chicken to make Indian Chicken sandwiches. I think they will be delicious.

No comments: